Courtesy: Fit Mitten Kitchen
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 small/medium sweet potato, grated
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp oil, plus more for waffle iron and frying pan
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1/2 medium avocado, sliced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat waffle iron and grease well. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk 1 egg (or egg whites). Add in grated sweet potato–should be around a heaping cup–plus seasonings and 1 tsp oil. Mix well until thoroughly combined. Once waffle iron has fully heated, pack in sweet potato hash mixture into iron, covering all of the quadrants. Press waffle iron down gently and allow sweet potato to cook about 4-5 minutes, until lightly golden.
- While the waffle is cooking saute kale in pan with oil on medium heat until slightly crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Fry or scramble egg in same pan (remove kale or keep in, your choice) to personal preference.
- Once sweet potato waffle is ready gently remove with butter knife and transfer to plate. Layer on kale, fried egg, and avocado slices. Finish with salt and pepper if you wish and enjoy!
UPDATE MARCH 2017: I’ve had several readers make this with success as written, and some suggesting the water needs to be squeezed out of the sweet potato hash before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
Also please note every waffle iron is different. The waffle iron should be greased fairly well, using high heat oil such as avocado, to prevent from burning.