We were talking the other day to one of our members about the Paleo diet and how a lot of people associate Paleo with CrossFit. I am by no means an expert in nutrition but I have been around this particular fitness industry enough to have some thoughts.
Here is a great article by Robb Wolf, one of the pioneers in the field..that explains the Paleo diet and is very pro-Paleo…
Here is what I have experienced.
- It is a great way to jump start your system and to detox.
- The best way is to go cold turkey and 100% for the first 4-6 weeks.
- If you have never detoxed before you will feel like shit for about 2/3 weeks.. no energy, cramps like you think your going to die, headaches… your body goes through a legit with-drawl..
- Once you have detoxed you will feel great! You wont believe how”bad” you felt without realizing it.
- Strict Paleo is hard to maintain, so I suggest after you do the initial 4-6 week detox start introducing some grains back in, moderately and with the mindset of “food is fuel” and a tool for performance, especially working out like we do!!
- There are many health benefits to Paleo… you can get the same benefits by cleaning up your diet and allowing yourself to indulge every once in a while.. and you’ll keep your sanity!
- I know one person who has been strict Paleo for years.. most people do it every once in a while as a detox and to get back on track. Most people do better with a zone type structure, and macro counting.
- Paleo does not work for everyone!! Just like any nutritional plan, listen to your body.. it will tell you what works or not!!!!
March 5th, 10:15 am Amy Plano will be here to give you her thoughts on nutrition. She is scientific based. We will be hearing from a few different approaches!~